Day 4--Rocky Ridge and Rock Creek Hollow
Thursday morning came early—up at 5:45, breakfasted and on the trail by 7:30. This was the day we followed in the steps of the Willie Company, up over Rocky Ridge and into Rock Creek Hollow. We did 15 miles this day! It took us 9 hours, start to finish. Some of the pioneers took up to 27 hours to cover the same distance. I knew this day was going to be rough, but I was looking forward to it most of all. I couldn’t wait to get to Rocky Ridge. It is a 2-mile climb gaining 700 feet in elevation resulting in an average 5% grade. The pioneers of the Willie Company climbed this in a howling snowstorm with snow 2 feet deep. Somewhere, I read that with the wind chill factor, it could easily have felt like -10 degrees. Frostbite would have set in within 30 minutes. Incredible. How did these people survive?
My Rocky Ridge experience was intense. It took all 9 of us in our family working on the handcart to get over the ridge. 4 pulled from the front, 3 pushed from the back, and one took each wheel to help roll it over the rocks. But we were there…on the actual Rocky Ridge…seeing the same red granite that was there in 1856. Almost indescribable. I was so grateful for our little family. They worked so hard together and never complained. Even when I knew they were hurting, they’d get up to the handcart and push or pull. When we reached the summit, the highest point along the Oregon Trail, the mountains seemed just as far away as ever. I can’t imagine how this would have been for the pioneers. For us, who were well-fed , well-rested, and properly clothed—it was a fun, difficult challenge. For them, it was truly life or death.
We had 5 more mud bogs to get through this day. One of my “sons” pulled the cart through single-handedly. He just wanted to see if he could. I was grateful to stay dry and mud-free. At 15 miles, this was our longest day of walking.
In the middle afternoon, it certainly felt that way. Would we ever be done? But then we saw our support staff coming towards us on the trail and realized we were just a short distance from being done. Was it really going to be over this soon? Was I ready to be done? We entered camp with celebration. I couldn’t wait to pull my shoes off and wade in Rock Creek. The cool water was rejuvenating after 47 miles of walking, pushing, and pulling. The slippery rocks were a bit like a massage. We had done it! It was hard to comprehend what we had just accomplished...that there would be no more walking the next morning.
That evening, we entered Rock Creek Hollow. Here the pioneers buried 13 who had died crossing Rocky Ridge. Another 2 died the following day and were also buried here. President Hinckley called this spot hallowed ground and there was a sweet, quiet spirit here. It was sobering and easy to be reverent.
Comments