I Saw Sarah Palin!
OK...so this post would have been a lot more exciting about a month ago when it actually happened. But I have to record all this stuff for posterity, plus I took pictures. Therefore I must post.
Colorado was a swing state for this last election, so we got way more attention here than we ever did in California or Idaho. For a self-proclaimed political junkie like me, this was very cool. In the flurry before Election Day, everyone who was running for high office came through. My sister Anna heard on the radio that Sarah Palin was coming to Colorado Springs on Monday, October 20. My kids had school off that day, and I figured it would be a great civics lesson for them. So, on Sunday night, we headed down to Anna's to get way less sleep than we all needed.
Anna and I stayed up making posters (that we weren't allowed to take in to the rally...grrr).

Anna also used her considerable duct tape skills and made these shirts for our kids to wear.
(Unfortunately it was freezing outside and the kids never took off their coats. Our cute shirts stayed in the diaper bag.)
The rally started at 8:00 AM and the gates opened at 6:00 AM. We woke the kiddies up at 5:45 and made it to the field by 6:45. We then stood in an amazingly long line for almost 2 hours before we reached security.
Lucas here looks as though 5:45 AM doesn't agree with him. I think he had a good time...at least he was a good sport. And it may give him something to talk to about in therapy some day.
Here are 5 of the 7 kids Anna and I had between us. Oh yeah, did I mention our husbands thought we were crazy to drag 7 kids to an early morning political rally? After having done it, I would probably agree. Alex and Brett were quite excited by the whole affair. I guess anything's better than a day of school.

Here is Anna with her baby and Brett and Alex, thrilled to be up before the sunrise.

The rally had started before we made it in, but it was just local politicians. By the time we got seated, Hank Williams, Jr. was warming up the crowd. We could have used some warmth. It was actually colder at 9:00 than it was at 6:00.
Isn't Anna a good sport?
And here, finally, the moment we waited for--Sarah Palin. She's that red speck down in front giving a great stump speech. Oh, Alex has to go potty...so does Brennan. Let's go boys. Ooh, time for the baby to nurse. Wait a minute, my kids' Parent/Teacher conferences start in 1 1/2 hours in Denver, at least an hour's drive away. Time to go.
Yep. After waiting so long to hear Governor Palin, we cut out early and were happy to get to the warmth of our minivans. We were also fortunate not to be blocked in and to avoid the horrendous traffic that shortly followed. I felt like I'd put in a full day when I arrived punctually to Alex and Brett's conferences.
Colorado was a swing state for this last election, so we got way more attention here than we ever did in California or Idaho. For a self-proclaimed political junkie like me, this was very cool. In the flurry before Election Day, everyone who was running for high office came through. My sister Anna heard on the radio that Sarah Palin was coming to Colorado Springs on Monday, October 20. My kids had school off that day, and I figured it would be a great civics lesson for them. So, on Sunday night, we headed down to Anna's to get way less sleep than we all needed.
Anna and I stayed up making posters (that we weren't allowed to take in to the rally...grrr).
Anna also used her considerable duct tape skills and made these shirts for our kids to wear.
The rally started at 8:00 AM and the gates opened at 6:00 AM. We woke the kiddies up at 5:45 and made it to the field by 6:45. We then stood in an amazingly long line for almost 2 hours before we reached security.
Lucas here looks as though 5:45 AM doesn't agree with him. I think he had a good time...at least he was a good sport. And it may give him something to talk to about in therapy some day.
Here are 5 of the 7 kids Anna and I had between us. Oh yeah, did I mention our husbands thought we were crazy to drag 7 kids to an early morning political rally? After having done it, I would probably agree. Alex and Brett were quite excited by the whole affair. I guess anything's better than a day of school.
Here is Anna with her baby and Brett and Alex, thrilled to be up before the sunrise.

The rally had started before we made it in, but it was just local politicians. By the time we got seated, Hank Williams, Jr. was warming up the crowd. We could have used some warmth. It was actually colder at 9:00 than it was at 6:00.
Isn't Anna a good sport?
And here, finally, the moment we waited for--Sarah Palin. She's that red speck down in front giving a great stump speech. Oh, Alex has to go potty...so does Brennan. Let's go boys. Ooh, time for the baby to nurse. Wait a minute, my kids' Parent/Teacher conferences start in 1 1/2 hours in Denver, at least an hour's drive away. Time to go.
Yep. After waiting so long to hear Governor Palin, we cut out early and were happy to get to the warmth of our minivans. We were also fortunate not to be blocked in and to avoid the horrendous traffic that shortly followed. I felt like I'd put in a full day when I arrived punctually to Alex and Brett's conferences.
Comments