Entomologist-in-training

You probably know that Alex loves bugs and spiders. He is actually obsessed with them. In his free time (and 6-year-olds have a lot of free time) he reads books about arthropods. He's moved way beyond the short, glossy picture books for his age group and prefers to read field guides and insect encyclopedias. Crazy, huh. It has been good for his vocabulary and made him our resident entomologist.

At first, I would ask him to identify some crawling creature or tell me its behavior, and then check his answer on the Internet. I don't check his answers anymore--he's always right.

As I was folding the laundry this morning, I noticed a small beetle crawling on the clothes. I let it crawl onto me and took it Alex.

"Alex, what is this?"
"Um...it looks like a carpet beetle, Mommy."
"Oh. Do you want it or can I kill it?"
"Well, it is considered a pest."

(This evening, Steve and I checked out images of carpet beetles on Google...and Alex was right!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beautiful Fall Photo Shoot

Yucky Soup

Princess for the Day